the garber gang

the garber gang

Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Teachable Moment

That was the fire truck that came. Chris said I could have gotten a better picture than that!


Chris has been doing an awesome job with the leaves in our yard this fall. He has raked and then burned them every week for the last three weeks. Well, this week the leaf process became quite interesting when the Falls Township Fire Department arrived at our house! Chris was finishing burning a huge pile of leaves which he had been working on for a few hours when he came to the back door and yelled in that someone had called the fire department. It turns out that the smoke from the leaves had made its way down to Maple Ave. and someone called the fire department thinking that a building was on fire. I looked out the window and saw a fire truck with its light on in our side yard. Immediately, I yelled for my mom to bring Ty, and I grabbed Maddie and darted out the door. I asked one of the six firemen who were surrounding Chris, if we could take a glance at their fire truck. Chris was giving me "the look"; however, I continued on after the fireman said he wouldn't arrest Chris in front of the kids! Maddie and Ty were intrigued with the big red truck with bright flashing lights (probably the whole neighborhood was too), and then the fireman came over and told us to get in. We climbed in, checked out their gear, and they even gave the twins their own hats! They gave Chris some information about burning leaves, too! Once back in the house, I found our book about fire trucks and read that. I think Ty and Maddie really understand it now.....therefore, it was a teachable moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment