the garber gang

the garber gang

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Super Scary

Friday night Tri-Valley played their second tournament game in Columbus. I decided to go and the Sprankle Family babysat Maddie and Ty. Just as I walked into the game (and while they were doing player introductions), I got a message from Maya that Maddie was choking and had to be rushed to the hospital. I grabbed Chris and we jumped into the car (that he borrowed from another assistant coach) to head to Zanesville. At this point, we didn't know any details and couldn't reach anyone but Maya, who was watching Ty and Emma. To make a really long story short.....Maddie had a febrile seizure (a fever-induced seizure). Her temp spiked to 103.5 and as Aunt Angie was giving her ibuprofen Maddie went into a seizure and choked on the medicine. Uncle Brian and Aunt Angie threw Maddie in their car and went to the ER which is like 2 minutes from our house. When Chris and I got to the ER Maddie was sleeping and doing fine. They had done a chest x-ray and thought Maddie might have a touch of pneumonia. They gave her two shots of antibiotics in her thighs. Maddie is doing really well now. We had to watch her closely for 24 hours to make sure her temp stayed down so we didn't have a repeat performance. She played most of the day and was happy.
When I first got the call about Maddie, I wanted to kick myself for leaving her and Ty. I decided to go to the game at the very last minute. Then once I calmed down, I realized that if I had stayed home, it would have still happened and I would have been home alone. I would have not handled it nearly as well as Angie and Brian. Chris and I cannot put in words how thankful we are for Angie and Brian for basically saving Maddie's life. I doubt they will ever realize how much we appreciate them! To be honest, Chris's entire family helped out in some way, shape, or form that night. Maya and Emma watched Ty until Maya called Uncle Adam to come over. Mimi went to the hospital and then to our house to be with Ty. Aunt Carol (visiting from Connecticut) stayed at the hospital until we were discharged. I think you get the picture! And then there was our Tri-Valley family who, while very concerned, kept texting and calling Chris with score updates. Remember, Chris and I left the game during player introductions. (TV almost upset Walnut Ridge in double overtime. That's another story for another day) They also prayed for us, and called us to check on Maddie after the game. Like my mom said, "Thank goodness for family!" Amen to that!




On a lighter note, we spent Saturday at home. We did nothing but spend every minute with Maddie and Ty. I didn't try to get one thing accomplished. The house is still dirty and my school work still needs to be done. Mimi and Papa came over in the morning and fixed us breakfast burritos.
This is Maddie walking on her crutches like Tanner.

Ty enjoying his tent.
Maddie and Daddy got in there with him too.
Daddy getting Ty.
Maddie wearing my sneakers on the wrong feet.
Maddie giving Daddy a hug. Let's just say there were quite a few hugs given today!
Maddie showing Ty some love.
I even let Maddie watch some nursery rhymes on the computer since she tired easily.
Ty took care of Maddie's babies today for her. He was checking to see if the baby pooped.
Daddy and his boy

2 comments: